Friday 24 January 2014

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

Goodreads Summary
The story may seems cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle...

My Thoughts
I am loving this series! The Baudelaire children are off to live with their next relative and I loved Uncle Morty. He was a sweet man with a love of snakes. I wish he was in more of the story. 

This book was a bit slower than the first, but still enjoyable. How so? The narrator! He makes these books even more enjoyable than they would have been otherwise. He foreshadows what's to come and does so in such a charming way. I do miss Jude Law's voice though (he is the narrator in the film).

If you have read these books than you know that the narrator will define words along the way. This is a great idea for young readers and would have been really helpful for me growing up, but it became a little annoying.  If you're an adult reading these books the definitions may be a little bothersome, but if you keep in mind the target audience you'll just get use to it. And who knows you might learn a new word.

I can't wait to read The Wide Window!

  photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're enjoying the series!! Glad about that!! I can see where you're coming from, I was exasperated a little, but as you mentioned keeping the target audience in mind while reading would have helped me take off those little annoyance. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the series too..:)
    -Ini @ Ini's Ravishing Reads

    ReplyDelete