Wednesday 5 February 2014

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Goodreads Summary
Berlin 1942

When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance.

But Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences.

My Thoughts
I have been meaning to read this book for so long and I am so glad that I finally did.

Bruno comes off as being selfish, self-centered and arrogant, but he is a child who was used to getting what he wants. I loved that he was unafraid to tell those around him what he thought.  I loved his innocence and curiosity.  He didn't realize what was going on (thankfully), but he set out to get used to his new home anyway. 

My favourite character in the book was Shmuel. This little boy has been through more than anyone could imagine and yet he still friendly toward Bruno. Their friendship was complex, but real. 

I hope to see the film soon.  I've heard that it is heavier than the book and has less of the book's innocence. 

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif  photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment