Saturday 13 September 2014

Fire and Flood (Fire and Flood #1)

Goodreads Summary 
Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

Victoria Scott's breathtaking novel grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.


My Thoughts
I have heard this book described as being a mix between The Hunger Games and Pokémon and to be honest that didn't sound terribly interesting to me. I read this because the reviews so far were really good and I thought I'd give it a go.

To be completely honest I found the book to be a little flawed. Tella, our main character, really annoyed me. When she first found the device that told her about the Brimstone Bleed she stupidly thought it was a joke. She actually thought her dying brother had the energy to find a small device, have some random woman create a recording, and then sneak it in her room. I mean come on!  Her stupidity slowly goes away throughout the novel, but I never really connected with her. I enjoyed many of the other characters, but again had issues with Guy. He seemed really one dimensional to me and not just because he spent the majority of the book being mysterious. He just seemed to have no personality. Everyone was too stereotypical for my liking. 

I probably will read the next book simply because the race isn't done and I would kinda like to know who wins. At least I only have to wait until February.

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment