Sunday 11 January 2015

This Song Will Save Your Life

Goodreads Summary
Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.


My Thoughts
I have to admit that this was an impulse buy. Purely impulse.  I was adding books to my cart on bookoutlet and thought the cover was pretty...and it was only a couple dollars so I bought it. It however did not live up to its cover. 

In this book we meet Elise who is different than her peers and therefore misunderstood. I don't know if you remember, but being misunderstood in high school does not make for a happy time. In this respect I understood where she was coming from. Elise however was more dramatic and depressed than I was in high school so our paths went in very different directions. Sadly, Elise made plans to end it all. I feel like this aspect of the book could have been handled with a little more sensitivity.

This book was also unrealistic in a lot of aspects. Elise DJs a couple of times and picks up almost immediately. Seriously? Her parents never noticed her sneaking out of the house. Really? Lastly a heartbreaking blog is written about her and she says nothing. Nothing...to anyone.

I felt like this book was ok. I think that some aspects could have been handled better and others could've been removed entirely. I don't understand all the glowing reviews on Goodreads, but if you like the concept check it out.

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment